February marks the start of Black History Month, and we’re celebrating by highlighting some incredible Black-led cycling groups and organizations in New York that build supportive communities centering on cyclists of color.
First up, Black Girls Do Bike: NYC!
Black Girls Do Bike: NYC (BGDB: NYC) shares the core common interests of all nationwide Black Girls Do Bike chapters: growing and supporting a community of women of color who share a passion for cycling.
BGDB: NYC champions efforts to introduce the joy of cycling to all women, especially Black women and girls. They’ve established a comfortable place where lady cyclists can support, advise, organize meet-ups/rides, and promote skill-sharing. BGDB: NYC looks to share positive images of ladies and their bikes that affirm that Black girls do bike indeed! They also support bike advocacy, awareness, education, and safety in all communities and corners of the world.
BGDB: NYC empowers its community through a variety of cycling events and classes:
- The annual Very Pink October Breast Cancer Awareness Ride is a fun, fabulous, and important way to show your support. In 2021, BGDB: NYC raised over $2,000 for charity. The next ride is scheduled for Wednesday, October 19. Mark your calendar and follow BGDB: NYC on social for more info.
- BGDB: NYC partners with the New York City Harlem Skyscraper Cycling Classic (scheduled for Juneteenth, Sunday, June 19) to offer a kids’ riding clinic and help coordinate the children’s race.
- BGDB: NYC offers free online Zoom courses for nutrition and cycling and fitness and exercise courses. Join the BGDB: NYC Facebook group to access their free Zoom classes!
- Starting on Sunday, March 6, BGDB: NYC will work with cycling coach, @trifitlifestyle, to offer free progressive cycling training to get new-advanced riders feeling more comfortable and strong on their rides.
- BGDB: NYC recently formed a BIPOC gravel group, the Brown Stone Gravel Grinders. Eight ladies from BGDB compose the core of this group and are heading to Kansas to ride in the Garmin UNBOUND Gravel Century race! Follow their adventures at @BrownStoneGravelGrinders.
Black Girls Do Bike: NYC welcomes various riders, from moms who ride with their kids on their bike’s back seat to competitive cyclists, like triathletes and Gravelers. They also love to bike with other riders and groups. Keep an eye out for upcoming BGDB: NYC rides and activities on Facebook and Instagram—they ride every weekend!
We’re excited to continue working with Black Girls Do Bike: NYC to transform our communities through cycling. Look out for BGDB: NYC on our next local ride or at the TD Five Boro Bike Tour!