Classification: Part-time, non-exempt, seasonal. Approximate 15-30 weekday hours per week from June – November 2022 with possibility of extending to future seasons. This is not a remote position: in-person, public-facing work is required.
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing North America’s largest bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets—Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike shows, Bike Expo New York. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes for kids and adults throughout New York City. In 2020, despite the pandemic, we taught bike skills to more than 30,000 kids and adults, both virtually and in person.
- Teach Bike New York’s Learn to Ride program to children who don’t know how to ride a bike
- Teach Bike New York’s Bike Driver’s Ed curriculum to groups of 10-15 kids who already know how to ride a bike, as preparation to taking them out on group bike rides
- Determine whether kids have adequate skills to go “off site” for group bike rides
- Lead safe, smooth, and well-functioning group rides off site
- Work closely with after school directors and staff according to their schedules and conditions
- Manage a fleet of up to 35 bikes and helmets, ensuring that equipment is in place before each day starts, and stored securely when not in use, and performing minor maintenance or alerting Bike New York staff to bigger mechanical issues
- Be an experienced, enthusiastic cyclist who is passionate about sharing the joys of cycling with others
- Experience working with groups of kids in educational, youth program, and/or camp settings; demonstrable classroom/group management skills
- Be flexible in working with unpredictable youth program conditions
- Successful candidates will need to have a background check, show proof of Covid-19 vaccination, and become CPR certified.
- Bilingual applicants encouraged
Please send resumes and letters of interest to: email@example.com. Include “Youth Instructor” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.
Bike New York is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.