Position: Customer Service Assistant
Reports to: Associate Director of Customer Service
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Work Schedule: Hybrid, in office and remote
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform the lives of New Yorkers and their communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming; dynamic public events; expansive outreach; advocating for safer, more equitable streets; and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing the world’s largest charitable bike ride, the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, a ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets, Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and community events. One of the organization’s newest programs, Bike Path, trains formerly incarcerated New Yorkers to become certified bike mechanics who then secure employment at Motivate maintaining Citi Bikes. Bike New York also runs the Recycle-A-Bicycle program, which encourages New Yorkers to donate their old bikes, which are then refurbished and sold at the Recycle-A-Bicycle community bike shop in Brooklyn or given away to vulnerable populations who can’t afford bikes.
Job Description: Bike New York is currently seeking a motivated, enthusiastic, and reliable Customer Service Assistant to assist with Events, Membership and Volunteers. In this role, you will interact with our clients one-on-one on a daily basis, addressing concerns and fielding questions via phone and email. To succeed in this position, you must be patient, empathetic, and knowledgeable, with a friendly yet professional demeanor.
The ideal candidate will be punctual, with excellent customer service and problem-solving skills. Weekend work will be required for Tour weekend, and for our two regional rides. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Interact with clients on the phone, email, and face-to face in a professional manner
- Provide customer support for our registration system
- Accurately answer questions and address client concerns
- Collect and create data feedback
- Updating of the organization’s website
- Assist in creating newsletters and email announcements
- Research and connect with external partners
- Recruit, support and onboard Volunteers for education programming
- Assist in planning occasional in-person social activities
- Attend support team meetings
- Occasionally assist with mailing of products
- Proactively seek solutions to problems, notifying Management when concerns arise
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Previous customer service and administrative experience
- Ability to manage high call and email volume
- Familiarity with multi-line phone system
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, efficient, capable of working in a fast-paced environment
- Able to remain calm and professional, even with challenging clients
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to learn and use various types of software, i.e., WordPress, Mailchimp
Please send resumes and letters of interest to: email@example.com. Include “Customer Service Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
Bike New York is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.