Recycle-A-Bicycle is a now a part of Bike New York! Through innovative programs such as Earn-A-Bike, Green Jobs Training Programs, High School Internships, Recycled Arts Workshops, Summer Youth Employment Program, and Kids Ride Club, Recycle-A-Bicycle has been dedicated to the health, development, stewardship, and empowerment of NYC youth for more than 20 years. In the past year alone, more than 1,000 RAB youth collectively refurbished 500 bicycles, pedaled 24,000 miles, and burned 1,750,000 calories. On average, RAB salvaged 1,800 bicycles each year from the waste stream, diverting a total of 45,000 pounds of waste from NYC’s landfills. Every purchase from Bike New York’s Recycle-A-Bicycle Shop directly supports our education programs!
Address: 35 Pearl Street (at Plymouth Street), Brooklyn, NY 11201
Hours: Monday – Sunday, 12PM – 7PM
Volunteer Night: Wednesdays, 7PM – 9PM
Bike New York’s Recycle-A-Bicycle Shop is a community-based bike shop that offers sales and full service repairs. The bicycles begin as donations and are sold fully refurbished. Proceeds from sales and services directly support Bike New York’s education program.
In addition to used bicycles and repairs, the shop also offers a variety of new accessories including helmets, locks, lights, and a wide range of new and recycled bicycle parts. All of the bikes, merchandise, and services are offered at fair and affordable prices. Each bicycle comes with a 30-day warranty and is priced in accordance with the parts and labor we dedicate to reconditioning each one.
LONG ISLAND CITY WORKSHOP
Address: 46-01 5th Street, LIC, NY 11101 (entrance on 46th Avenue, not 5th Street), Long Island City, Queens
Workshop Hours: Changes by season; call for current schedule. Please note that we do not do sales or service at this location.
Volunteer Night: Thursdays 6PM – 8PM
The Long Island City Workshop is reserved for community and educational programs. Here, we host the following:
- Volunteer Night: Individuals are invited to learn about bike repair and to help us de-manufacture or refurbish bikes for social programs. Everyone is welcome; no experience is necessary. Sign up here (click on the “Bike Mechanic Night” opportunities).
- Community Service Project: Corporations and other organizations are invited to cleanup and refurbish donated children’s bikes for distribution at Bike Bonanzas.
- Bike Repair Class for School Groups: Student groups are invited to learn the importance of bicycling and recycling and get hands on experience via de-manufacturing bikes and patching inner tubes.
- Cycle Craft: Student groups are invited to refashion unwanted small bike parts and inner tubes by turning them into fashionable or functional items such as bracelets or keychains.
- Summer Youth Employment Program: We partner with Jacob Riis Neighborhood Settlement Houses and serve as a worksite for up to 10 students in July & August. (Application process is closed for 2017)
- Kids Ride Club: We partner with Woodhull Hospital, Lincoln Hospital and New York Cycle Club to offer 18 bike rides to encourage physical activity and healthy living for students in low-income neighborhoods. (Application process is closed for 2017)
- To schedule a project or workshop, contact the Director of Recycle-A-Bicycle at 212-870-2097 or email@example.com