Cyclists of all abilities discover the beauty of upstate New York on this scenic ride along and across the Hudson River, and over the rolling hills of the surrounding area. Whether stationed at the start/finish on the shores of the Hudson, helping folks refuel at rest areas, or fixing flats en route, volunteers play a huge role in making this a special day for some 2,000 cyclists.
Date: June 26, 2022 (Sunday)
Duration of shift: 6-12 hours, depending on role
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Age Restriction: Volunteers must be 18 or older or 14-17 with a guardian on the day of the event.
Registration: All volunteers must register in advance of the event.
Riding marshals provide safety and direction for participants along the route. Their responsibilities include helping participants with flat and bike repair, responding to road emergencies, providing information to participants and spectators, and helping stationary marshal wherever needed.
- Volunteers in this role should have some bike repair experience.
- Riding Marshals must be 18 years of age or older by June 26, 2022.
- Riding Marshals must be able to ride the entire route (15, 33, 55, 75, or 100 miles).
- Riding Marshals must attend one virtual orientation before the event.
- Sweeps provide safety and direction to riders at the back of the pack. Their responsibilities include helping participants with flats and bike repair, responding to road emergencies, providing information to participants and spectators, and helping stationary marshals wherever needed. Note that volunteers in this role will be riding behind the slowest rider on their route.
- Sweeps must be 18 years of age or older by June 26, 2022.
- Sweeps must be able to complete the entire route for which they sign up (15, 33, 55, 75, or 100 miles).
- Post Marshals are stationed along the route assigned to complete specific tasks in their area.
- Responsibilities include alerting participants to road conditions, assisting with road emergencies, encouraging slow riders, and providing information to participants, spectators, and nearby residents.
- Post Marshals should bring their own bike, though most of the role will be stationary, and must be comfortable riding back to the Finish when they’ve finished their assignments
- Post Marshals must be 18 years of age or older by June 26, 2022.
event day volunteers
Start/Finish Area Volunteers
Start/Finish Area Volunteers cover a multitude of important tasks including the setup and breakdown of the Start/Finish Area, registration, preparing and handing out snacks and drinks, and providing information to participants and spectators. Start/Finish Area Volunteers do not need to bring a bike.
Rest Area Volunteers
Rest Area Volunteers help set up, operate, and break down a designated stop along a route. Tasks may include setting up tables, filling water coolers or handing out drinks, placing snacks on tables, and cleaning up trash and recyclables. This is a great opportunity for groups and individuals to be part of the action cheering on riders while keeping them hydrated and fed along their journey! Rest Area Volunteers do not need to bring a bike.