Position: DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Classification: Full-time exempt
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Salary: Based on experience
This is a mostly remote position, with the understanding that in-person meetings and attendance at events for the purpose of donor development are expected.
Candidates must live within the New York City Metro Area.
Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming; dynamic public events; expansive outreach; advocating for safer, more equitable streets; and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing the world’s largest charitable bike ride, the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, a ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets, Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike expos. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes, advocacy program, and Bike Path, which provides training to New Yorkers with modest job prospects, including those who are formerly incarnated, to become bike mechanics.
Bike New York is looking for an experienced fundraising professional to join its team in the newly created role of Director of Development. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this key senior staff member will oversee all Bike New York fundraising activities including planning and executing fundraising events, interacting with donors to encourage ongoing contributions, creating new donor relationships, and seeking out opportunities for financial support through foundation, government, and corporate grants.
- Create new development function at Bike New York, create and execute Bike New York’s annual fundraising plan and develop and implement strategic plans and best practices for revenue growth, driving and encouraging creativity.
- Ensure that Bike New York meets its annual fundraising budget goals.
- Develop and implement the processes and structures needed to secure current and future financial needs, including the selection, implementation, and management of an appropriate CRM system that will support donor relationship management, marketing, communications, and growth.
- Develop innovative strategies to promote and increase individual giving and inspire long-term funding relationships.
- Manage the identification and cultivation of individual donors, and government, corporate, and foundation entities.
- Manage grant proposal and reporting processes.
- Monitor the progress of donor relationships.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Operating Officer to ensure transparency of development efforts.
- Provide in-person presentations to the board.
- Work closely with the Chief Operating Officer on cultivating, securing, and managing corporate sponsorships.
- Commitment to Bike New York’s mission.
- Proven track record of achieving financial goals and executing successful strategies.
- Experience leading major giving campaigns and success securing fundraising from corporate, foundation, and major gift solicitation and cultivation.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and with a detailed-oriented approach to development and fundraising work.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues across the organization, exhibit flexibility with changing priorities, and contribute toward a positive work culture.
- Experience establishing and maintaining CRM practices, processes, and systems.
- Strong facilitation skills with the ability to develop and effectively maintain collaborative relationships with a range of diverse donors, partners, and corporations.
- Strategic thinking abilities with strong planning, organizational, implementation, and time management skills.
- Public presentation capabilities to engage small or large groups of participants, volunteers, and donors.
- General computer proficiency, competence with office software, as well experience with various fundraising and e-commerce platforms.
- Ability to occasionally work outside of traditional business hours.
- Skilled at cultivating meaningful relationships that result in securing both monetary and in-kind multi-year support. Knowledge, understanding, and relationships with the New York City donor community.
- Skilled in creating compelling written and oral communications for fundraising asks. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to internal and external audiences of varying levels of seniority.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 5 years’ progressive fundraising and development experience with a proven fundraising track record that includes multi-year giving.
- Computer knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), Google Drive, and common donor databases (e.g., DonorPerfect, Raiser’s Edge).
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices.
Please send resumes and letters of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Director of Development” in the subject line.
In compliance with the New York City employer requirement, all candidates must be fully vaccinated.