Position: Assistant Manager, Recycle-A-Bicycle Shop
Reports to: Sales & Marketing Manager
Salary: $25-$29 an hour
Hours: Part-time, 35-40 hours per week. Weekend work required.
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming; dynamic public events; expansive outreach; advocating for safer, more equitable streets; and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing the world’s largest charitable bike ride, the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, a ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets, Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike expos. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes, advocacy program, and Bike Path, which provides training to New Yorkers with modest job prospects, including those who are formerly incarcerated, to become bike mechanics.
Job Description: Bike New York is currently seeking a professional, motivated, and customer service-oriented Assistant Manager to oversee daily operations at our bike shop in Brooklyn where bicycles are refurbished and sold. As Assistant Manager, you will supervise the operational and organizational standards of the store.
Reporting to the Sales & Marketing Manager, the ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator and demonstrate outstanding leadership skills. This collaborative role involves working closely with all members of the staff. Weekend work will be required.
Duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Create business strategies to attract new customers, expand store traffic and enhance profitability
- Deliver excellent service to ensure high levels of customer service
- Motivate the sales team to meet sales objectives by training and mentoring staff
- Maintain the shop appearance and organization
- Arrange promotional material and in-store displays
- Prepare detailed reports on buying trends and customer requirements
- Coordinating inventory levels for the ordering of new items
- Train and oversee staffand interns
- Proactively seek solutions to problems, notifying Management when concerns arise
- Identify opportunities to promote via social media
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a retail environment, ideally in a managerial role
- Knowledge of bike styles and sizing to assist customers
- Strong leadership and management abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to remain calm and professional, even with challenging clients in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Lightspeed POS or similar point-of-sale systems a plus
Please send resumes and letters of interest to: email@example.com. Include “Assistant Manager” in the subject line.
Bike New York is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.