Title: Volunteer Manager
Reports to: Associate Director of Events
Compensation: Project – 450 hours, contractor based
Classification: Project Based – February thru May 2019
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and New York City’s leading proponent of cycling as a practical, sustainable, and healthy means of transportation and recreation. Bike New York offers free bike education programs throughout the five boroughs encouraging bicycling and bicycle safety through education, public events, and collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing the largest cycling event in the United States, a 40-mile, car-free ride for 32,000 cyclists known as the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, Bike New York also produces Bike Expo New York as well as organizes regional rides outside of NYC.
Job Description: Bike New York is seeking a contract Volunteer Manager. Reporting to the Associate Director of Events, the ideal candidate will be highly organized, efficient, personable, and share the organization’s ambitions for bicycling. This is an opportunity to be part of a growing organization with an exciting and dynamic work environment. This collaborative role involves working closely with all members of the staff as well as outside vendors, contractors and city agencies. Some evening and weekend work required.
Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Associate Director of Events, the Volunteer Manager is
responsible for recruitment, training and management of all Volunteers for TD Five Boro Bike Tour.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Recruitment of returning and prospective volunteers via a variety of methods, including email, phone calls, bike club contacts, targeted outreach of prior year participants, etc.
- Work with BNY community partners (five borough, upstate NY, NJ) to develop relationships as a means of recruiting local volunteers
- Schedule and confirm all meeting spaces for orientations and Key Staff meetings, prepare and conduct orientation meetings
- Work with Volunteer Super Captains and Captains on marshal assignments and key tour related issues
- Work with Tour area Managers (Route, Start, Festival) on volunteer needs and recruitment strategies;
- Attend relevant site meetings with Tour area managers
- Develop and/or update marshal and volunteer check-in location equipment lists and provide them to warehouse manager in timely manner
- Create and/or update check-in logistics for each volunteer check-in area
- Manage an efficient and effective system for volunteer check-in and deployment
- Ensure all attendance statistics are accurate and timely
- Manage and maintain extensive Volunteer Management Software (Cervis) and create accurate reports
- Manage, with Associate Director, the Packet Pick-up area at Bike Expo New York
- Work with production company for Expo volunteer timeline, trainings and logistics
- Work within budget parameters provided by Bike New York
- Collaborate with Associate Director and other Bike Tour area managers on creation of master logistics documentation
- Post event debrief notes, including suggestions for improvement
- In office meetings with event staff as necessary, some work can be done remotely
- Weekly or bi-weekly phone calls with BNY’s event department to share information and review any necessary changes
- Assist Associate Director with post event wrap up including updating documents, recap phone calls with agencies, recap phone calls/meetings with vendors and internal staff
- An undergraduate degree and a minimum of 2-3 years of related event production experience or 5-7 years relevant experience if no degree.
- Strategic background with proven experience in planning and implementing large-scale mass participation events
- Energetic, innovative, self-starter, problem solver, and results oriented
- Detail oriented with the ability to prioritize, and excel in high-pressure environments
- Ability to work within a team, build relationships and work collaboratively throughout the organization and on site
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills as an ambassador of Bike New York
- Proficient in technology and comfortable learning new software programs
- Excellent presentation skills
- Experience with permitting process in NYC a plus
- Established relationships with city, state and federal agencies a plus (not required)
Please email resume, cover letter and three references to: email@example.com. Include “Volunteer Manager” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.