Title: Route Manager
Reports to: Associate Director of Events
Compensation: Project – 450 hours, contractor based
Classification: Project Based – February thru May 2019
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and New York City’s leading proponent of cycling as a practical, sustainable, and healthy means of transportation and recreation. Bike New York offers free bike education programs throughout the five boroughs encouraging bicycling and bicycle safety through education, public events, and collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing the largest cycling event in the United States, a 40-mile, car-free ride for 32,000 cyclists known as the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, Bike New York also produces Bike Expo New York as well as organizes regional rides outside of NYC.
Job Description: Bike New York is seeking a contract Route Manager. Reporting to the Associate Director of Events, the ideal candidate will be highly organized, efficient, personable, and share the organization’s ambitions for bicycling. This is an opportunity to be part of a growing organization with an exciting and dynamic work environment. This collaborative role involves working closely with all members of the staff as well as outside vendors, contractors and city agencies. Some evening and weekend work required.
Responsibilities: Under the direction of the Associate Director of Events, the Route Manager is
responsible for helping plan and execute the Route for TD Five Boro Bike Tour. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manage logistics and planning of the Bike Tour route; specifically, Central Park, FDR Drive, Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, Staten Island Ferry and Security checkpoints
- Coordinate route drives with Bike Tour stakeholders (staff, vendors, city agencies)
- Attend site visit and planning meeting for Central Park, FDR Drive, Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, Staten Island Ferry and Security checkpoints
- Conduct site visits with necessary vendors (toilets, fencing/barricades)
- Attend relevant meetings with city agencies (NYPD, DOT, SAPO, FDNY)
- Create and/or update route maps per any changes
- Update route timeline per any changes
- Conduct signage inventory, manage new signage creation and prepare signage installation plan and layouts for respective areas
- Prepare activation for any sponsorship in respective areas, sit in on sponsor calls/meetings
- Prepare equipment lists for above mentions areas of Bike Tour, manage execution of plans on Tour Day
- Hire, train and manager all staff for various route related areas, including attending and presenting at pre-event staff meeting. Collect and submit timesheets/payroll info in a timely manner post-event
- Manage and lead staff site visits, ensure logistics are distributed and all materials/info are provided to event area managers
- Work with Volunteer Manager on remote volunteer check-in logistics on Tour Day, ensuring all equipment and staffing is in place.
- Work within budget parameters provided by Bike New York.
- Collaborate with Associate Director and other Bike Tour area managers on creation of master logistics packet
- Post event debrief notes, including suggestions for improvement
- In office meetings with event staff as necessary, some work can be done remotely
- Weekly or bi-weekly phone calls with BNY’s event department to share information and review any necessary changes
- Assist Associate Director with post event wrap up including updating documents, recap phone calls with agencies, recap phone calls/meetings with vendors and internal staff
- An undergraduate degree and a minimum of 2-3 years of related event production experience or 5-7 years relevant experience if no degree
- Strategic background with proven experience in planning and implementing large-scale mass participation events
- Energetic, innovative, self-starter, problem solver, and results oriented
- Detail oriented with the ability to prioritize, and excel in high-pressure environments
- Ability to work within a team, build relationships and work collaboratively throughout the organization and on site
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills as an ambassador of Bike New York
- Proficient in technology and comfortable learning new software programs
- Excellent presentation skills
- Experience with permitting process in NYC a plus
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs
- Ability to stand upright continuously for up to eight hours
- Established relationships with city, state and federal agencies a plus (not required)
Please email resume, cover letter and three references to: email@example.com. Include “Route Manager” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.