Bike Library at Shirley Chisholm State Park
Bike New York’s Bike Library offers free access to bikes that allow Shirley Chisholm State Park visitors and neighbors to explore 407 car-free acres and 10 miles of bike paths.
Stopping by for a ride? We have two Bike Library locations where you can “check out” your free rental bike! Visit us at 950 Fountain Avenue or 1750 Pennsylvania Avenue and we’ll help you get pedaling.
New York’s first Bike Library!
Among the first free bike share programs in the country, the Bike Library at Shirley Chisholm State Park features recycled bikes on reclaimed land. Just leave an ID and use a Library bike and helmet for free throughout the park!
Launched in 2019, the Bike Library began by hiring five former participants in Recycle-A-Bicycle’s Earn-A-Bike program hailing from Pathways to Graduation, El Puente Academy for Peace & Justice, and Forest Hills High School. They were tasked with building the fleet of 84 bikes that now greet visitors when they arrive to the park. During the Bike Library’s first three months, these hand-built bikes were taken on 8,585 rides, allowing park-goers to enjoy 10 miles of car-free pathways by the scenic Jamaica Bay. Our ride data shows that the majority of visiting riders came primarily from the surrounding neighborhoods, with 74% of bike share users hailing from Brooklyn. 34% of rides were taken by people under 18 years of age, and, excitingly, riders reflected an even gender split!
At our two Bike Library centers, we held Learn to Ride classes for kids and piloted a school Field Trip including a Parks-led environmental science workshop and Bike New York skills drills and ride. We’re excited to see how our programming grows during our 2020 season!
2020 SEASON INFO
The Bike Library will be open between July 30 – November 1, 2020.
Schedule: Thursdays – Sundays, weather permitting
Hours: August & September: 11am-6pm (last ride out at 4:30pm)
October: 11am-5:30pm (Fountain’s last ride out at 3:30pm; Pennsylvania’s last ride out 4pm)
In case of inclement weather, call our Weather Hotline before you visit:
- Adults must leave a license while bikes are on loan
- Minors must be accompanied by parent or guardian
- All bike borrowers must fill out a waiver and demonstrate their ability to ride
- Helmets are provided and must be worn by bike borrowers
- Please ride safely and respect everyone on the path!
- Stay within park boundaries while you ride
- Return the bike within 2 hours/at least 30 minutes before closing time
COVID-19 HEALTH PROTOCOLS
- You must bring and wear your own mask, no exceptions
- Please use hand sanitizer before and after you ride; you may use your own or the provided hand sanitizer at the sign-in desk
- Both bike borrowing locations will observe a strict 4-rider limit every 30 minutes
- Please practice social distancing at all stages of your bike borrowing experience, including during pickup and return
- Staff will be wearing masks and gloves, and all bikes and helmets will be disinfected after each use