POSITION: Group Ride Leader
Position: Group Ride Leader
Reports to: Director of Community Outreach & Membership Program
Classification: Seasonal, Part-time, non-exempt.
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to promote bicycling as a safe, healthy, and sustainable means of transportation and recreation. We accomplish this through free educational programming, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing America’s largest charitable bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour—Bike New York also organizes regional rides and small community rides. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes throughout New York City. In 2019, we taught bike riding and bike safety skills to more than 20,000 youth and adults.
Job Description: Bike New York is currently seeking several skilled, Group Ride Leaders. Ride Leaders are critical to ensuring that everyone who participates on their rides has a safe and enjoyable ride experience. In this role, Ride Leaders will organize and lead group rides of approximately 10-25 cyclists for our local community rides as well as rides for our Membership Program. Reporting to the Director of Community Outreach & Membership Program, the ideal candidate will also have excellent customer service skills. Weekend work and/or occasional evening work is required.
Duties include, but will not be limited to:
- Leading scheduled and spontaneous group bike rides
- Scouting potential New York City ride routes and rest locations
- Developing, scheduling and leading rides for every level of rider
- Photographing ride locations, destinations, and groups for social media
- Enforcing Bike New York’s mandatory helmet policy
- Performing minor bike repairs including fixing flats
- Riding at the advertised pace while maintaining timeliness
- Demonstrating the ABC Quick Check and utilizing traffic hand signs
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Superior bike handling skills and group bike riding experience
- Knowledge of League of American Cycling “smart cycling” recommendations.
- Comfort with public speaking as well as good writing skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, efficient within a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of and comfort with enforcement of New York State Vehicular Traffic Laws including stopping at red lights
- Equal ease with biking on bike lanes as well as in high traffic areas and identifying areas of caution to riders
- Comfort with mobile applications Strava and Ride with GPS
- Familiarity with the Google-Suite mobile platform
Please send resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “2020 Group Ride Leader” in the subject line. Please, no emails, phone calls or walk-ins.