POSITION: General Manager, RECYCLE-A-BICYCLE SHOP
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Salary: Based on experience
Classification: Full-time Exempt
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing North America’s largest bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets—Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike shows, Bike Expo New York. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes for kids and adults throughout New York City. In 2019, we taught bike skills to more than 20,000 kids and adults.
Bike New York is currently seeking a professional, motivated, and customer service- oriented General Manager to oversee daily operations at our bike shop in Brooklyn where bicycles are refurbished and sold. As General Manager, you will supervise the operational and organizational standards of the store.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator and demonstrate outstanding leadership skills. This collaborative role involves working closely with all members of the staff. Weekend work will be required.
Duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Create business strategies to attract new customers, expand store traffic and enhance profitability
- Deliver excellent service to ensure high levels of customer service
- Undertake store administration duties such as managing store budgets
- Motivate the sales team to meet sales objectives by training and mentoring staff
- Develop and arrange promotional material and in-store displays
- Prepare detailed reports on buying trends and customer requirements
- Solely responsible for inventory levels and the ordering of new items
- Hire, train and oversee staff
- Proactively seek solutions to problems, notifying Management when concerns arise
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in a retail environment, ideally in a managerial role
- Strong leadership and management abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to remain calm and professional, even with challenging clients in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Please send resume, references, and letters of interest to: email@example.com. Include “General Manager” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.