POSITION: Community Outreach Coordinator
Position: Community Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Community Outreach & Membership Program
Classification: Part-time, seasonal, non-exempt. February to October 2020, occasional evenings and weekends.
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to promote bicycling as a safe, healthy, and sustainable means of transportation and recreation. We accomplish this through free educational programming, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing America’s largest charitable bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour—Bike New York also organizes regional rides and small community rides. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes throughout New York City. In 2019, we taught bike riding and bike safety skills to more than 20,000 youth and adults.
Bike New York seeks to hire three Community Outreach Coordinators (COCs) who are biking enthusiasts with engaging personalities to assist us with our growing outreach and membership efforts. COCs ensure that neighborhoods surrounding our Community Bike Education Centers know about and participate in our free Public Classes and free Youth Programs. COCs will also assist with further building our Membership Program affiliations as well as participate in Membership customer service activities. COCs spend approximately four hours a week at Bike New York and eight hours spent in the field. Bike New York will host a training session.
- Community Outreach:
- Participate in and/or table at community events and/or meetings
- Coordinate posting and/or distribution of flyers
- Conduct outreach to and post on blogs, community calendars and other local media
- Membership Program:
- Recruit additional Bike Shop/Bike Friendly business
- Assist with Bike New York Membership package mailings
- Available to work during the Bike Expo New York/TD Five Boro Bike Tour, the Discover Hudson Valley Ride, and the Twin Lights Ride
- Perform tasks as assigned
- Have a passion for biking and Bike New York’s mission
- Work weekday evenings (early) and/or weekends (mornings and/or afternoons)
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or minimum two years of college
- Residents of Bronx Community Board 1, Brooklyn Community Boards 5 & 16, and residents within a 1/2 mile of our Community Bike Education Centers are encouraged to apply
- Strong communications skills including writing and public speaking
- Comfort with field work in diverse, multicultural, urban environments
- Prior community organizing and/or event planning experience a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency and comfort with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and data input
- Fluency in Spanish or Mandarin a plus
Please email resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to email@example.com. Include “2020 Community Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. Please, no emails, calls or walk-ins.