Position: Communications & Marketing Director
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Classification: Full-time Exempt
We accomplish this through free education programming, advocating for sustainable transportation, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known forproducing America’s largest bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, drawing 32,000 cyclists annually to participate in a 40-mile, car-free ride through all five of NYC’s boroughs—Bike NewYork also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike expos, Bike Expo New York. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education and safety programs that empower New Yorkers to lead healthier and more active and productive lives. In 2018, we taught bike skills to more than 28,000 kids and adults.
Bike New York seeks a full-time Communications & Marketing Director tomanage and develop the organization’s branding, positioning, marketing, and digital content initiatives. The ideal applicant will be a goal-oriented strategist, versatile storyteller, punctilious editor, adaptive team player, and hardworking self-starter with a keen eye for design, a good pulse on the New York City bicycling community, and a portfolio of innovative projects under their belt. Candidates with demonstrable experience in omnichannel campaign management (ideation and presentation through delivery and reporting), particularly those with an event marketing focus, are strongly encouraged to apply. Some evening and weekend work required.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this highly collaborative role involves working closely across internal departments as well as managing relationships with outside vendors, contractors, and press contacts. The role requires an organized, detail-oriented, precise, and efficient individual who thrives in fast-paced environments and approaches challenges with ingenuity and enthusiasm. A successful Director will have extensive experience in digital project management and a self-motivated desire to stay ahead of the curve in the rapidly-changing fields of social media branding and content development for web; proposing, implementing, testing, and analyzing new initiatives are among the Director’s core responsibilities.
Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Overseeing all the operations and staff of the department
- Developing and executing digital communications and marketing specific to our website, newsletter, and social media platforms, analyzing performance and adjusting strategies for each as needed
- Sourcing, creating, and/or curating content for digital and print media assets, including event-specific collateral
- Conceptualizing and supervising design and production of outreach collateral (both print and digital), giveaways, and merchandise
- With Advocacy Department, initiating and supporting public relations efforts (i.e. generating pitches, creating and distributing press releases, cultivating media relationships, prepping staff for media appearances, providing on-site event media support, responding to media inquiries and photo requests, etc.)
- Working with vendors to develop online and on-site event merchandise plans
- Collaborating with the all departments to produce regular digital and print marketing and communications materials, including flyers, promotional items, and paid social media campaigns
- Overseeing comprehensive reporting for all aspects of the department, including media metric reporting, sponsorship reports, and board reports.
- Maintaining the organization’s photo and video resources, including cataloguing images
- Hiring and supervising photographers/videographers for events and programs as needed, and fulfilling external and internal photo requests promptly
- Continuously evaluating, fine-tuning, and evolving Bike New York’s marketing and communications efforts
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum seven years experience in Communications, Digital Marketing/Advertising, Brand Management, PR, Design, Editorial, or related field; professional history with creative agencies, digital advertising firms, event production companies, and/or sporting organizations strongly preferred
- Proven proficiency in CMS (WordPress experience a plus)
- ESP campaign production experience (expert-level Mailchimp proficiency, including list segmentation and automation, desired)
- Adept at implementing digital marketing tools and techniques including Facebook Ads, Google AdWords, and cross-platform audience retargeting
- Familiarity with web standards and best practices, including GDPR and SEO
- Knowledge of design for print and web, including production processes
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Able to prioritize and execute without sacrificing quality
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with graphic design programs; familiarity with Adobe Cloud, including Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop strongly preferred
- Familiarity with common digital project management tools such as Google Drive/Docs, Asana, Dropbox Paper, and Hootsuite
- Proficiency with Google Analytics and awareness of reporting best practices
- Dedication to cycling and New York City
Please send your resume and letters of interest detailing work experience as relevant to the outlined qualifications to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications & Marketing Director”in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.