Position: Communications & Marketing Director
Position: Communications & Marketing Director
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Salary: Based on Experience
Classification: Full-time Exempt
Job Description: Bike New York seeks a full-time Communications & Marketing Director to manage and develop the organization’s branding, positioning, marketing, and digital content initiatives. Candidates with demonstrable experience in campaign management (ideation and presentation through delivery and reporting)—particularly those with an event marketing focus—are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this highly collaborative role involves working closely across internal departments as well as managing relationships with outside vendors, contractors, and press contacts. The role requires an organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, and flexible individual who excels while navigating fast-paced environments and approaches challenges with ingenuity and enthusiasm. A successful Director will have extensive experience in digital project management and a self-motivated desire to stay ahead of the curve in content development trends for social media and the web; proposing, implementing, testing, analyzing, and adapting new initiatives are among the Director’s core responsibilities.
The ideal applicant will be a goal-oriented strategist, versatile storyteller, punctilious editor, adaptive team player, and hardworking self-starter with a keen eye for design, a portfolio of innovative projects under their belt, and a good pulse on the New York City bicycling community.
Occasional evening and weekend work required in this role.
Core duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Overseeing all operations and staff of the department, from day-to-day leadership to campaign stewardship
- Developing and executing digital communications and marketing specific to our website, newsletter, and social media platforms; analyzing performance and adjusting strategies for each as needed
- Sourcing, creating, and/or curating content for digital and print media assets, including event-specific collateral
- Conceptualizing and supervising design and production of outreach collateral (both print and digital), giveaways, and merchandise
- With Advocacy Department, initiating and supporting public relations efforts (i.e. generating pitches, creating and distributing press releases, cultivating media relationships, prepping staff for media appearances, providing on-site event media support, responding to media inquiries and photo requests, etc.)
- Collaborating with all departments to produce regular digital and print marketing and communications materials, including flyers, promotional items, and paid social media campaigns
- Working with vendors to develop online and on-site event merchandise plans
- Overseeing comprehensive reporting for all aspects of the department, including media metric reporting, sponsorship reports, and board reports
- Hiring and supervising photographers/videographers for events and programs as needed, and fulfilling external and internal photo requests promptly
- Continuously evaluating, fine-tuning, and evolving Bike New York’s marketing and communications efforts
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum 7 years of experience in Communications, Digital Marketing/Advertising, Brand Management, PR, Design, Editorial, or related field; professional history with creative agencies, digital advertising firms, event production companies, and/or sporting organizations preferred
- Demonstrated leadership experience including management of teams
- Email marketing production experience (expert-level Mailchimp proficiency, including list segmentation and campaign automation; HubSpot experience a plus)
- Proficient in leading digital marketing initiatives for Facebook Ads, Google AdWords, and cross-platform audience retargeting
- Knowledge of design for print and web, including production processes
- Proven proficiency in CMS (WordPress experience a plus)
- Familiarity with web standards and best practices, including GDPR and SEO
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Able to prioritize and execute without sacrificing quality
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Extensive experience with graphic design programs; familiarity with Adobe Cloud, including Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop strongly preferred
- Familiarity with common digital project management tools such as G-Suite apps (Drive, Docs, Sheets), Dropbox, Later
- Fundraising campaign experience strongly preferred
- Experience with virtual event development and communications
- Proficiency with Google Analytics and awareness of reporting best practices
- Demonstrable dedication to cycling and to New York City
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free education programming, advocating for sustainable transportation, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing America’s largest bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, drawing 32,000 cyclists annually to participate in a 40-mile, car-free ride through all five of NYC’s boroughs—Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike expos, Bike Expo New York. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education and safety programs that empower New Yorkers to lead healthier and more active and productive lives. In 2019, we taught bike skills to more than 30,000 kids and adults.
To Apply: Please send your resume, brief (single-page) cover letter detailing work experience as relevant to the outlined qualifications, and contact information for two professional references to email@example.com; portfolios and case studies are optional but welcome for inclusion. Include “Communications & Marketing Director” in the subject line.
Candidates from one or more populations historically underrepresented in leadership positions within the cycling community, including BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals, are strongly encouraged to apply.