Position: Bike Library Coordinator
Reports to: Recycle-A-Bicycle Director
Timeframe: Bike Library Season is July 4– October 27th
Thursdays through Sundays, 10:30am-6:30pm
Classification: Part-time, seasonal, non-exempt; Approximately 28 hours a week.
Organization Overview:Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing North America’s largest bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets—Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike shows, Bike Expo New York. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes for kids and adults throughout New York City. In 2018, we taught bike skills to more than 28,000 kids and adults.
Bike Library Project Description:The Shirley Chisholm State Park is scheduled to open this summer. It encompasses 407 acres on a former landfill along Jamaica Bay, and is dedicated to preserving native plants & fauna. Park users will enjoy 10 miles of bike paths and a boat launch. To encourage activity, NYS Parks Department is partnering with organizations that will enable boating and cycling. Bike New York will be creating a Bike Library that offers free access to bikes for use in the park.
Job Description: Duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Operating the Bike Library project which includes loaning bicycles, assessing users’ ability to ride, fitting bikes and helmets for each user, and providing bike safety instruction
- Maintaining logs on bike fleet maintenance & repairing bicycles as needed
- Assuring that the GPS tracking system is operational at all times
- Handling incidents that involve crashes, injuries, theft and filing reports with appropriate entities
- Supporting special events sponsored by NYS Parks Department
- Monitoring attendance and performance of Bike Library team (4 staff)
- Serving as liaison with NYS Park Staff and NYPD around bike user issues and theft in real time
- Meeting regularly with Recycle-A-Bicycle Director to provide feedback and suggesting project improvements
- Management skills
- Customer service skills
- Knowledge of basic bike repair
- Knowledge of first aid
- Commitment to maintain a clean, organized worksite
- Team player & willing to help out with incoming donations or other relevant tasks
Please send resume, references, and letters of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Bike Library Coordinator” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.