Position: Bicycle Mechanic
Reports to: Recycle-A-Bicycle General Manager
Salary: $20 an hour
Classification: Part-time, non-exempt; Approximately 14 to 28 hours a week. Weekend work will be required.
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing North America’s largest bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets—Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike shows, Bike Expo New York. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes for kids and adults throughout New York City. In 2019, our programming reached more than 33,000 kids and adults.
Job Description: The Bicycle Mechanic position involves most aspects of bicycle repair and customer service. Mechanics are expected to have a basic proficiency in bicycle mechanics but also willing to assist customers, and completing mechanical work in a timely and detailed manner. Must be outgoing and willing to work as a team.
Duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Ability to help customers, by phone and in shop, and represent the organization in a professional manner
- Correct use of hand tools
- Ability to diagnose repairs
- Ability to complete repairs in a timely manner
- Ability to clean and organize workshop space
- Proficient and/or willing to learn bicycle overhaul and adjustment techniques, including but not limited to:
- Hub overhauls
- Headset and bottom bracket overhauls
- Common braking systems, including coaster and disc
- Diagnosis and adjustment of varied drivetrain components
- Installation and adjustment of cables/housing
- Wheel truing and adjustment
- Must have previous bike repair experience with references
- Knowledge of bicycle styles and sizing to assist customers
- Able to remain calm and professional, even with challenging clients
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to ask questions
- Use of Lightspeed or similar point of sale system a plus
Please send resume, references, and letters of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Bicycle Mechanic” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.