Position: Community Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Community Outreach & Membership Program
Compensation: $25 an hour
Classification: Part-time, seasonal, non-exempt. Until October 2019.
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing North America’s largest bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets—Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike shows, Bike Expo New York. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes for kids and adults throughout New York City. In 2018, we taught bike skills to more than 28,000 kids and adults.
Job Description: Bike New York seeks to hire three energetic and outgoing cycling enthusiasts to assist us with our evolving outreach efforts as well as our growing Membership Program. Coordinators meet with residents, stakeholders and neighborhood organizations to ensure that communities within a one-mile radius are aware of and participate in our free Bike Education Classes and free Youth Programs. Coordinators will also assist with our Membership Program, occasionally participate in bike rides, facilitate event set-up and process Membership packages.
Coordinators will spend approximately one day a week at Bike New York with the remainder of the time in the field. This is a part-time, approximately 15 hours a week, seasonal position, estimated to run from late February through early October. Coordinators are expected to work mornings and/or afternoons on the weekends participating in community events. There is some occasional early evening work, as well as some weekday community and Membership event work. Coordinators are required to attend a paid training session.
- Promote our upcoming Events, Classes and Youth Programs by—
– Tabling at various local events
– Representing Bike New York at community events/meetings
– Posting and distributing flyers/posters near our Bike Education Centers
– Conducting outreach to and working with neighborhood media sources including calendars and blogs
– Contacting/visiting bike shops and bike friendly businesses
– Compiling and/or updating our community contact resources
- Work at major Bike New York events: Bike Expo New York, the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, Discover Hudson Valley Ride, and Twin Lights Ride
- Participate in Bike New York’s Membership mailings and ride events
- Perform additional tasks as assigned
- Candidates with a passion for cycling
- Bachelor’s degree, or minimum two years of college
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and within a group
- High level computer skills and familiarity with data entry best practices
- Working knowledge of G Suite and Microsoft Office Suite
- Residents near our Brooklyn (East New York), Bronx, Queens, or Staten Island Community Bike Education Centers
- Interest in earning League Cycling Instructor Certification from the League of American Bicyclists
- Knowledge of Spanish or Mandarin
- Desire to work outside Manhattan
- Community organizing and/or event planning experience
Please email resume and cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to email@example.com. Include “2019 Community Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. Please, no calls, emails, or walk-ins.
The deadline submission is February 22, 2019. Resumes and cover letters will be reviewed on a rolling basis until positions are filled.