Position: Communications Director
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Classification: Full-time Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing North America’s largest bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets—Bike New York also organizes regional rides, small community rides, and one of the nation’s most-attended bike shows, Bike Expo New York. Proceeds from these events fund our free bike education classes for kids and adults throughout New York City. In 2017, we taught bike skills to more than 25,000 kids and adults.
Bike New York seeks a full-time Communications Director to manage and develop the organization’s branding, positioning, communications, marketing, and public relations. The ideal candidate will be a goal-oriented strategist, enthusiastic storyteller, creative copywriter, punctilious editor, adaptive team player, hardworking self-starter, articulate speaker, and efficient networker.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the ideal candidate will be highly organized, efficient, personable, and share the organization’s ambitions for bicycling. This is an opportunity to be part of a growing organization with an exciting and dynamic work environment. This collaborative role involves working closely with all members of Bike New York staff as well as outside vendors and contractors. Some evening and weekend work required. Duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Overseeing all the operations of the communications department
- Developing and executing digital communications and marketing strategies specific to our website, e-newsletter, and, especially, social media platforms
- Sourcing, creating, and/or curating content for print and digital media assets, including event-specific collateral
- Conceptualizing and supervising design and production of outreach collateral (both print and digital), giveaways, and merchandise
- Initiating and supporting public relations efforts (i.e. generating pitches, creating press releases, cultivating media relationships, prepping staff for media appearances, providing on-site event media support, responding to media inquiries and photo requests, etc.)
- Working with vendors on online and event onsite merchandise plans
- Drafting and disseminating internal communiques
- Overseeing comprehensive reporting for all aspects of the organization, including media metric reporting, sponsorship reports, board reports, etc.
- Maintaining the organization’s photo and video resources, including tagging/cataloguing images
- Hiring and supervising photographers/videographers for events and programs as needed, and fulfilling external and internal photo requests promptly
- Evaluating, fine-tuning, and evolving marketing and communications efforts on an ongoing basis
The Communications Director’s responsibilities will grow and change with the organization; thus we expect duties to be added and subtracted according to Bike New York’s needs.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum five years of experience in Communications, Marketing/Advertising, PR, Editorial, or related field
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, efficient, capable of working in a fast-paced environment
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Able to prioritize and execute without sacrificing quality
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Master’s or other advanced degree
- Proficiency in a second language
- Experience with graphic design programs such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
Please send a resume, letter of interest, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Director” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.