Step 1: Get the gear
- First, get a bike. Folks have ridden the Tour on everything from Pennyfarthings to tricycles, but we recommend a more practical steed: a multi-gear bike with relatively smooth tires is best. Hybrid or road bikes are generally lighter than mountain bikes and cruisers and are therefore much easier to power throughout the five boroughs.
- Next, get the necessary accessories.
- Helmets are required on all Bike New York rides. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
- Water bottle cage and water bottle (You’ll be able to fill up at water stations and rest areas.)
- Spare tube, tire levers, patch kit, and multi-tool in case you get a flat along the route. (Having these items will make it much easier for a Rider Assist Marshal to help you if you get a flat.)