Position: Communications & Marketing Specialist
Reports to: Communications & Marketing Director
Salary: $55,000 – $75,000 annually
Classification: Full-time Exempt
Organization Overview: Bike New York is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to transform lives and communities through bicycling. We accomplish this through free educational programming, dynamic public events, expansive outreach, and consistent collaboration with community and government organizations. Best known for producing North America’s largest bike ride—the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, a ride for 32,000 cyclists through all five boroughs of New York City on 40 miles of car-free streets—Bike New York also organizes regional rides and small community rides. Proceeds from these events help fund our free bike education classes for kids and adults throughout New York City. In 2020, despite the pandemic, we taught bike skills to more than 30,000 kids and adults virtually and in person.
Job Description: The Communications and Marketing Specialist is crucial to Bike New York’s Communications and Marketing team. The specialist executes external, primarily digital, communications strategies and campaigns. Their duties include the management of Bike New York’s social media channels, website, newsletters, and email marketing, as well as developing content for those platforms. Additionally, the specialist handles select graphic design projects as needed and maintains brand standards across digital and print media. This is an exciting opportunity for a bike enthusiast and true content creator interested in being in the middle of the action within New York City’s bike community, whether it’s at the TD Five Boro Bike Tour or other Bike New York events, at our Bike Education classes, at our Recycle-A-Bicycle Shop, or participating in a local rally. And highlighting our mission and need for contributed support.
This is primarily a remote position. However, candidates must live within the New York City Metro Area, and some travel to program locations and weekend work will be required for actual event weekends. Duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Create, edit, and share compelling content on social media at least daily (e.g., original copy, photos, videos) to build brand awareness with over 100,000 followers and engage new audiences
- Collaborate with other teams, such as Events, Education, Financial Development, Recycle-A-Bicycle, and others, to ensure that news and happenings at Bike New York are communicated to the public
- Communicate with followers and respond to any questions in a timely manner and oversee Bike New York’s online community to ensure appropriate and respectful engagement
- Stay up to date with current technologies and trends in digital marketing and design and incorporate them into Bike New York’s communications and marketing strategies
- Work with Development to continue Mission Monday and philanthropic messaging in newsletters to connect Bike New York as a charity of choice and the need for contributed support for programs and services.
- Maintain Bike New York’s brand guidelines in all communications and designs and work with other departments and external partners to ensure they are adhering to Bike New York’s branding
- Execute select digital and print graphic design projects as needed, including but not limited to event signage, maps, and graphics
- Manage the creation and distribution of Bike New York’s monthly newsletter and email campaigns for the TD Five Boro Bike Tour, Twin Lights Ride, Discover Hudson Valley, and other events
- Work closely with the Communications and Marketing Director with input from the COO and CDO to develop digital strategies and campaigns for Bike New York
- Support the Communications and Marketing Director in managing partner and sponsor relationships, including but not limited to sharing partner and sponsor social media content, including partners in email communications, and gathering performance metric information
- Monitor website and digital campaign performance and make recommendations for improvement
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or a related field
- Approximately three to five years of experience with increasing responsibility in digital marketing or content development
- Experience independently managing an organization’s social media presence, preferably for a nonprofit
- Experience with WordPress or another open-source content management system
- Intermediate to advanced graphic design expertise, with knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite tools and programs
- Advanced knowledge of Mailchimp and experience maintaining and managing large email audience lists
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize projects with multiple competing deadlines
- Participation in or familiarity with the New York City cycling community
- Proficiency in a second language
- Experience managing and growing either online or IRL communities centered on events, sports, or fitness
- Event marketing expertise
- Experience with apparel or merchandise design
- Videography and photography skills and comfort with video editing
Please send resumes and letters of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications & Marketing Specialist” in the subject line.
Bike New York is an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.